Saturday, December 5, 2009

How do I get the wrinkles out of leather?

I'm replacing a piece of leather on an old desk. The piece of leather I purchased is wrinkled. I'd like to smooth it out before I glue it on the desk.How do I get the wrinkles out of leather?
You could water and lots of stretching but I don't know of a way that you can get wrinkles out.How do I get the wrinkles out of leather?
Does the leather not pull smooth when you stretch it? It should.





If you have an excess edge that you would be trimming away, you can try stretching it across a surface like plywood, use some cardboard strips along the edge, then nail with flat head nails or staples through the cardboard and leather.





Steaming may also help while stretched. Let dry.





When you glue it to desk, be sure to begin from the center. Stretch in all directions as you glue it. This will keep it stretched as you go and avoid wrinkles or buckles, later.





In processing leather, it is soaked at some point. I'm afraid to suggest that. It could leave water marks or circles.
oil?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
rate my teacher