Friday, December 11, 2009

How do you get wrinkles out of a wedding veil?

I am borrowing my FMIL's wedding veil. It has been stored away for 30 years and has some wrinkles. How do I get rid of them? I don't want to ruin it!





Can a wedding veil be ironed? Steamed?





It is just regular bridal tulle or whatever most wedding veils are made of. It has lace on the edges, but it is basically just veil material.How do you get wrinkles out of a wedding veil?
Steam it. Absolutely do not iron it though. Hold the steamer a safe distance (at least a couple inches) from the veil to prevent touching it and damaging it accidentally.





If you don't have a steamer, then you could also try bringing it into the bathroom with you when you have a hot shower. That often helps get wrinkles out, and it's what I do with clothing when I am in hotels and don't have my steamer with me. But chances are that if it has been stored for 30 years it is pretty wrinkly and will need the help of a good steamer.How do you get wrinkles out of a wedding veil?
Cover the tulle or netting with a cotton cloth, like from a cotton sheet; go to a thrift store and buy a cheap cotton sheet if you don't have one. Use steam setting on your iron but not too hot. If this doesn't do the trick, dampen the cotton cloth, wring it out, and press the veil using a bit higher setting, until you fine the right temp that works. Just always be careful to not touch the iron to the tulle or it'll melt. Get someone to help move things around on the ironing board if it's a long or full veil.
To straighten mine out my friend hung it in a room that got really warm during the day. Most of the crinkles fell out of it after a few hot days and because it wasn't in the sun it didn't fade or discolour.





To get rid of the rest of the crinkles fill up the iron and make it hot. Holding it away from the veil use the steam button and try and steam the creases out....





When in doubt though, ask a good bridal shop, or a top notch dry cleaner.
first of all congratulations on your upcoming wedding! how lovely for you to have such a sentimental family piece to wear on your wedding day and of course you don't want to risk ruining it.


steaming is the answer - hang it in the bathroom and run a hot shower on - the steam will take care of the wrinkles easily! don't risk holding an iron to it!





happy wedding sweetie!
Trust this to a professional. Take it to a local dry cleaner's. They'll be able to safely steam it to take out the wrinkles. When my daughter purchased her veil, it was wrinkled from being packaged in a box. I took it to the dry cleaner's and they did a beautiful job of removing every wrinkle.


If the veil has been in storage for that long, it may also need to be professionally cleaned also.


Best wishes!!
Here is what I did and it worked perfectly! I turned my shower on as hot as it can go, and let it steam while it steamed I hung my veil on the shower rod and turned the water the opposite way so it wouldn't get wet. The wrinkles were out with in ten minutes. God bless!
Lay a towel on a hard surface, then lay the veil on the towel, then lay another towel on top. Once you do this, iron the top towel. This worked wonders for my sister's wedding veil and gown.
Get a steamer and try that. Hold the steamer a good distance away and get closer to the veil with the steam as you think that it will allow. Good luck with it and I hope the wrinkles just fall out!
My mother made her own veil . She steamed it herself and from her pictures, she looked lovely. Carefully steam the veil and you should be fine!
You don't want to iron delicate material, but steaming should do the trick safely.
Yes, like the other poster said steaming. Or you could even bring it to a bridal salon to have it professionally done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
rate my teacher