Thursday, June 24, 2010

How can I get wrinkles out of a wool coat?

At the end of last winter I stored my wool coats in a large luggage bag, along with some winter clothes. I just took them out and all the coats have wrinkles on them. Can I iron them with a warm iron or will that ruin the wool? How can I get these out?How can I get wrinkles out of a wool coat?
Tailors use irons and plenty of steam to shape wool when the garment is being made up, so you can use an iron on your coat, but you should do it like the pros. First, use a dry iron on a medium setting. Next use a press cloth, a square of plain cotton fabric such as an old bed sheet. Lightly mist the press cloth with water and place over the wrinkle and put the iron over the press cloth, pressing lightly. If you have distilled water, that's best, if not, use boiled and cooled water especially if your water is hard and leaves mineral deposits on everything. Don't glide the iron, use a light lift and press motion. Remove the cloth and press lightly, using almost no pressure. The heat and steam should get the wrinkles out. use a soft brush to raise the nap of the fabric and then let it hang overnight somewhere where it won't get crushed. If your wool is heavily napped, like velours, pilot, or duffle cloth, then use a thick towel on your ironing surface to soften it. If you can turn the coat so that you can press from the wrong side of the wool, that would work better because you can use a steam iron with a damp press cloth. Always use a light touch when pressing wool, let the steam do most of the work.





I make many garments with wool, including wool winter coats. It's my favourite fabric to sculpt and tailor.How can I get wrinkles out of a wool coat?
Don't use an iron on that- there is a much easier way! Hang it up on a hanger in the bathroom and run a very, very hot shower for as long as your water heater will allow (at least an hour if you can). If your water heater, like mine, is wimpy, use the steam function on your iron without putting the flat part down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
rate my teacher